I just started a new piece... the preliminary drawing's been done for over a month but I had to set the project aside in order to wrap up end-of-year student activities and if you've been following my blog, you know that I was also needed in Ann Arbor over the past two weeks... helping daughter and her family.
Today the planets lined up just so, and I did the big sky wash. And I mean big... the paper is 22 x 30". I wanted a fairly smooth and uniform effect with no brush marks, and a good way to get that in watercolor is to pour a mixture of pigment and water wet paper and float the paint over the wet surface by tilting the board back and forth. My wash came out well... let's call it a wrap. Next step, remove the gray masking fluid and start painting the figure, the umbrella, the beach towel. You get the picture.
Here is the reference photo I'm working with:
For more images of this work in progress click here.